BC Athletics Privacy Statement and Personal Information Protection: Brief Summary
BC Athletics respects the privacy and personal information of our members.
BC Athletics collects a limited amount of personal information for the purpose of carrying out its responsibilities as the Provincial Sport Organization.
The following is a brief summary of our privacy practices.
Why we collect personal information
If you are a BC Athletics member, BC Athletics has some basic information about you. We understand that some of this information is private, which is why we collect personal information only for the following purposes:
- To establish and maintain a responsible relationship with you and to provide ongoing service. When you apply for a BC Athletics membership, we collect information that ensures that you are served and afford the membership services and benefits associated with your membership type. Some examples are: 1) This information ensures that athlete members compete in the appropriate age groups and levels of participation. 2) That officials, coaches and associate members are identified and recognized for their roles, responsibilities, training and authority within the association and member clubs and the events sanctioned by the association. Information collected allows us to contact you directly and to communicate pertinent information to you. The information collected ensures that we properly serve you.
- To understand your needs and preferences. We maintain a record of the services you receive from us, and we may ask for additional information so that we can serve you better.
- To manage and develop our operations. For example, we analyze member participation in our programs and events to help us manage them efficiently, plan for future growth and to develop statistics.
- To meet legal and regulatory requirements.
When do we disclose personal information?
There are a variety of circumstances where we may need to disclose some personal information about our members. Here are some examples:
- We may disclose a member's personal information to a person who, in the reasonable judgment of BC Athletics, is seeking the information as an agent of the member.
- We may disclose a member's personal information to a public authority or agent of a public authority, if in the reasonable judgment of BC Athletics, it appears that there is imminent danger to life or property which could be avoided or minimized by disclosure of the information. If a member calls 911, we will provide the member's name, address and telephone number to the emergency agency.
- In conjunction with events, programs or special offers, we may disclose members' personal information to event organizers, our program partners, or those responsible for administering such offers or programs. Any such disclosure is made on a confidential basis with the member's express consent.
How do we protect your personal information?
In order to protect your personal information and your right to privacy, BC Athletics:
- will not collect, use or disclose personal information for any purpose other than those identified above, except with your consent;
- will protect your personal information with appropriate security safeguards;
- will protect the confidentiality of your personal information when dealing with other organizations;
- will strive to keep your personal information as accurate and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes identified above; and
- will honour any request you may make for access to your personal information.
What are your choices?
We would like to have your consent to continue to collect, use and disclose your personal information for the purposes identified above. However, you do have choices and can refuse or withdraw your consent as follows:
- You may have your name removed from our telephone, mail or e-mail lists. We use these lists to inform you of relevant services and other information that may be of benefit to you.
- You may refuse to provide personal information to us. You may also withdraw your consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. However, in either case, this may limit our ability to serve you and your access to some events, programs and services.
If you have any questions or concerns about our privacy practices, please call us at 604-333-3550. Otherwise, we will assume that we have your consent to continue to collect, use and disclose your personal information for the purposes identified above.
BC Athletics Privacy Officer
Margaret "Sam" Collier Manager, Registration and Membership Services Address: 2001-B 3713 Kensington Ave, Burnaby, BC V5B 0A7, direct line 604-333-3556. Email: email@example.com
If you have any questions or concerns about our privacy practices and the protection of your personal information, please call 604-333-3556.