50 Mile Ultra
Join us at this year’s Whistler 50 Ultra! Centered around Whistler Village and the picturesque Valley Trail system, the 50KM event is composed of five 10KM loops and is incredibly well supported with aid stations accessible each loop. The moderate terrain makes it an achievable goal for novice ultra-marathoners or the perfect opportunity for experienced runners to test out their speed on a scenic course.
- Two aid stations per loop
- Medical team on site at start/finish area and relay exchange
- You may bring one drop bag and it will be accessible twice per loop
- Course marshals will be stationed all around the course to keep you encouraged and on track
- You’ll share the course with relay runners, so will have plenty of company
- 6:00am – Pre-Race Briefing and Ultra Check-In
- 7:00am – Whistler 50 Ultra starts in Whistler Olympic Plaza
- 2:35pm – course cut-off at 40KM in Whistler Olympic Plaza – runners may not start final lap after this point
- 3:00pm – Awards Ceremony at Whistler Olympic Plaza (Finish Line Party)
- 5:00pm – course closed
- You must pick up your package prior to Race Day (details in full schedule)
Check In and Briefing
Race morning, check in will be at the Brewhouse near Whistler Olympic Plaza starting at 6AM. Each runner must:
- Check in – with signed waiver and runner information sheet
- Drop Bag may be dropped off
- Race briefing will be immediately before the start
- Start/Finish is at Whistler Olympic Plaza (site of the medal ceremonies during the 2010 Winter Olympics)
Parking is free in Parking Lots 4 and 5. Parking Lot 4 is the closest parking lot to the start / finish.
It is very important that each runner have their race number clearly visible as they approach the finish line. The ultra runners always receive special recognition, so it is important that you can be clearly identified.
- If the runner decides to drop out, it is MANDATORY that race management be informed of this decision, otherwise we will assume the runner is lost and will be searching for you. Any costs incurred will be the responsibility of the runner.
- It is MANDATORY that runners check in at the start and at each stage checkpoint.
- The course will be open to other trail users and will be marked with orange cones. Stay to the right of the orange cones.
- A runner reaching 40KM after 2:35pm cannot continue on final loop.
- The race is held under IAAF rules. Pacing is not permitted and may result in disqualification.
- Start civil twilight (dawn) — 06:59
- Official sunrise — 07:30
- Official sunset — 18:24
- End civil twilight (dusk) — 18:54
- Moonlight — There will be a quarter moon on race morning (if it is clear) and even with moonlight it will be very dark in the forest, so a flashlight/headlamp is mandatory at the start of the race.
Weather Averages for Whistler for October 13th:
- Average daily high 11.7C,
- Average overnight low 1.9C,
- Average chance of precipitation 56%
- Lost Lake Aid Station — 5KM (water and nuun only)
- Olympic Plaza Aid Station — Every 10KM (full aid with drop bags)
Subject to change prior to race day.
Aid Station Menu
We are pleased that CLIF Bar is a sponsor. We will have CLIF Shots, CLIF Shot Bloks and CLIF Bars.
There will be nuun electrolyte drink available. Additionally, there will be water and Coke.
Food items will be potato chips, pretzels, cookies, fruit and soft candies. If it is cold, we may have hot chicken broth available.
- Each runner is allowed a drop bag, that may be accessed multiple times during the race.
- You will drop off your drop bag on race morning at race check in.
- They will be accessible in Olympic Plaza throughout the day (each 10KM)
- At the end of the day, the drop bags will be available at the Whistler Olympic Plaza finish line for pick up.
Note — Most runners will use a gym bag for supplies / clothing that they want to access during the race. It is also likely that as the day warms up you will want to drop off articles that you no longer want to carry. If you do not give us a drop bag, then anything that you drop off will be placed in a plastic bag for later pick up. Do NOT drop off articles anywhere else on the course except the drop bag location.
*NEW COURSE FOR 2019*
New for this year, solo ultra-marathoners will run a 50KM distance. The new course incorporates much of Lost Lake Park and will bring runners through Whistler Olympic Plaza every 10KM.
More details coming soon.
WHISTLER 50KM ULTRA
SATURDAY OCTOBER 19, 2019
Runner Information Sheet — Please hand in at Start Line Check In
Runner Name ______________________________________
Emergency Contact Name(s) ____________________________________________
Cellular Phone # on race day (or contact phone #) ____________________
Where are you staying in Whistler (if applicable) ____________________________________
– or –
Phone number where you are staying after the race ________________________________
follow us on
Join our newsletter for the latest event updates