50 Mile Ultra
Join us at this year’s Whistler 50 Ultra! Centered around Whistler Village and the picturesque Valley Trail system, the 50 mile event is composed of four 20km loops and is incredibly well supported with four aid stations accessible each loop. The moderate terrain makes it an achievable goal for notice ultra-marathoners or the perfect opportunity for experienced runners to test out their speed on a fast course that’s recognized as a qualifying distance for National Team selection!
- Five aid stations per loop (16 total!)
- Three per loop will be water/electrolyte only
- Two per loop will be full supported with food, toilets, heaters, access to your drop bag, and more
- Reflectors and glowsticks on trail for the section before daylight
- Medical team on site at start/finish area and relay exchange
- You may bring one drop bag and it will be accessible twice per loop
- Course marshals will be stationed all around the course to keep you encouraged and on track
- You’ll share the course with relay runners, so will have plenty of company
- 5:00am – Pre-Race Briefing and Ultra Check-In
- 6:00am – Whistler 50 Ultra starts in Whistler Olympic Plaza
- 2:35pm – course cut-off at 60km in Whistler Olympic Plaza – runners may not start final lap after this point
- 4:00pm – course cut-off at 73km at Lost Lake Passiv Haus
- 5:00pm – course closed
- 6:00pm – Awards Ceremony at Whistler Olympic Plaza (Finish Line Party)
- You must pick up your package prior to Race Day (details in full schedule)
If you are concerned about the cut-off times and would like to request an early start (5am), please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Check In and Briefing
Race morning, check in will be at the Brewhouse near Whistler Olympic Plaza starting at 5am. Each runner must:
- Check in – with signed waiver and runner information sheet
- Drop Bag may be dropped off
- Race briefing will be immediately before the start
- Start/Finish is at Whistler Olympic Plaza (site of the medal ceremonies during the 2010 Winter Olympics)
Parking is free in Parking Lots 4 and 5. Parking Lot 4 is the closest parking lot to the start / finish.
It is very important that each runner have their race number clearly visible as they approach the finish line. The ultra runners always receive special recognition, so it is important that you can be clearly identified.
- All runners are required to carry a flashlight / headlamp during hours of darkness (first loop).
- If the runner decides to drop out, it is MANDATORY that race management be informed of this decision, otherwise we will assume the runner is lost and will be searching for you. Any costs incurred will be the responsibility of the runner.
- It is MANDATORY that runners check in at the start and at each stage checkpoint.
- The course will be open to other trail users and will be marked with orange cones. Stay to the right of the orange cones.
- A runner reaching Exchange 6 (km 60) after 2:35pm or Exchange 7 (km 73) after 4:00pm cannot continue.
- The race is held under IAAF rules. Pacing is not permitted and may result in disqualification.
Since dawn will not be until an hour after the start, flashlights (or headlamps) will be required during the first loop. When daylight arrives, your flashlight may be dropped off at the Olympic Plaza Exchange (passed at 13km and 20km) and will be placed with your drop bag.
- Start civil twilight (dawn) — 07:00
- Official sunrise — 07:33
- Official sunset — 18:22
- End civil twilight (dusk) — 18:54
- Moonlight — There will be a quarter moon on race morning (if it is clear) and even with moonlight it will be very dark in the forest, so a flashlight/headlamp is mandatory at the start of the race.
Weather Averages for Whistler for October 14th:
- Average daily high 11.7C,
- Average overnight low 1.9C,
- Average chance of precipitation 56%
- Lorimer (Railway Crossing) — 4k (water only)
- Lorimer (second pass) — 10.3K (water only)
- Exchange at Olympic Plaza — 12.9K (full aid with drop bags)
- Spruce Grove Park — 15.8K (water only)
- Exchange at Olympic Plaza — 20K (full aid with drop bags)
Subject to change prior to race day.
Aid Station Menu
We are pleased that Clif Bar is a sponsor. We will have Clif Shots, Clif Shot Bloks and Clif Bars.
There will be electrolyte drink available. Additionally, there will be water and Coke.
Food items will be potato chips, pretzels, cookies, fruit and soft candies. If it is cold, we may have hot chicken broth available.
- Each runner is allowed a drop bag, that may be accessed multiple times during the race.
- You will drop off your drop bag on race morning at race check in.
- They will be accessible in Olympic Plaza throughout the day and you will pass them at 13km and 20km on each loop.
- At the end of the day, the drop bags will be available at the Whistler Olympic Plaza finish line for pick up.
Note — Most runners will use a gym bag for supplies / clothing that they want to access during the race. It is also likely that as the day warms up you will want to drop off articles that you no longer want to carry. If you drop off your flashlight / head lamp when daylight arrives, then it will be put with your drop bag. If you do not give us a drop bag, then anything that you drop off will be placed in a plastic bag for later pick up. Do NOT drop off articles anywhere else on the course except the drop bag location.
The new course is similar to past years, but will bring runners through Whistler Olympic Plaza twice per lap.
Here is a summary of the course itself: Start / Finish — is at Whistler Olympic Plaza (the site of the medal ceremonies during the 2010 Winter Olympics). After the start, the runners will run right through Whistler Village along Village Stroll.
After leaving the Village by the Conference Centre, the runners will run clockwise around Whistler Golf Course. The course runs on the trail paralleling the highway over to Blueberry Hill and then takes the trail on the other side of the golf course on a downhill that takes the runner to the low elevation point of the course where the trail follows the River of Golden Dreams to Meadow Park. The new Nesters Connection of Valley Trail will take runners under the railway tracks, staying on the west side of the highway. This connects runners with Valley Trail paralleling Lorimer Road back to the Whistler Golf Course. Runners continue clockwise around the Golf Course back towards the Conference Centre and return through the Village to Whistler Olympic Plaza. On leaving the Plaza, runners cross over Blackcomb Way and take Valley Trail under Lorimer Road before turning onto the Fitzsimmons Nature Trail. This path takes runners under Nancy Greene Drive and back onto the Valley Trail. Runners turn in towards Spruce Grove Park, heading up Centennial Trail into Lost Lake Park. At Lower Panorama, runners turn south and continue down to Lost Lake Loop, passing along the west side of the lake. Lost Lake Trail continues down to Passiv Haus where runners cross the bridge over Fitzsimmons Creek and then return to Whistler Olympic Plaza. Route is subject to change prior to race day.
Once available, you will find the course map and elevation diagram here.
WHISTLER 50 MILE ULTRA
SATURDAY OCTOBER 14, 2017
Runner Information Sheet — Please hand in at Start Line Check In
Runner Name ______________________________________
Emergency Contact Name(s) ____________________________________________
Cellular Phone # on race day (or contact phone #) ____________________
Where are you staying in Whistler (if applicable) ____________________________________
– or –
Phone number where you are staying after the race ________________________________
follow us on
Join our newsletter for the latest event updates