BC Athletics JD Manual
JUNIOR DEVELOPMENT RECOGNITION PROGRAMS
|[ Back ] [ Up ] [ Next ]
12.1 JUNIOR DEVELOPMENT AWARDS BANQUET
BC Athletics Staff Support
Setup and Cleanup
The Junior Development Awards Banquet is held in
October each year. This event is organized by the JD Committee in a
BC ATHLETICS STAFF SUPPORT
- BC Athletics staff will send out letters to the
awards winners notifying them of their selection and outlining the
- BC Athletics staff will post the awards winners
names on the website.
- BC Athletics staff order the plaques and the awards
- The JD Committee will need to make arrangements to
bring the award plaques and the programs from the BC Athletics
office to the banquet site.
- BC Athletics pays the bill for the event. All funds
collected are to be turned over to the BC Athletics staff.
- Master of Ceremonies ~ organizes the evening
program and introduces the guest speakers. The Master of Ceremonies
is often the Chair of the Junior Development committee.
- Award Presenters ~ can be one or two individuals.
The presenters prepare the testimonials from the information sheets
submitted by the recipients and then speak briefly about each
- Guest Speakers ~ can be juvenile or older athletes,
or can be well-known older athletes from the track and field
community. The recommended length of their speech is about 10
minutes. The guest speakers can also assist with the award
presentations to each athlete and can shake their hands.
- Photographers ~ will take photographs of each age
group. They escort each group away from the podium area, and take
the group photograph while the next group is on stage. The film and
a list of the athletes in each photo are given to the host club
representative who sees that they are sent to the editor of the BC
- BC Athletics Representatives ~ often the CEO and/or
the Chair of the Board of directors will attend the banquet. They
can also be invited to speak at the banquet. Guests of honour who
are seated at the head table do not pay for their tickets or the
ticket of the guests.
- The price of tickets is set by the Junior
Development Committee. The price is subject to change.
- The deadline for ordering tickets is the Monday
before the event. The caterers need a definite number of guests by
this date. This deadline needs to be firm.
- Selling extra tickets after the the JD Committee
has ordered the meals causes overcrowding and/or shortage of food.
- Tickets can be ordered by fax or e-mail so the host
club will have a record of each request. It is important to keep
careful records of telephone orders.
- Name one person within the JD Committee to be
responsible for ticket orders.
- People ordering tickets are expected to pay for all
of the tickets ordered.
- As the evening is for the athletes, be sure to
included food which they enjoy such as pasta and chicken.
- Try to have two buffet tables with both sides
available to keep things moving quickly.
- Remind the caterer that athletes have good
appetites. Make sure there will be plenty of food.
- Ask for punch and coffee/tea to be available for
the social hour and during the meal
- Each club with athletes attending the banquet is
requested to send two draw prizes for the banquet.
- The master of ceremonies or awards presenters can
draw the prizes during the dinner or during the awards
- Book a facility that is close to the freeway or on
a major route that is easy to locate for people from out-of-town.
- Provide a map and/or written directions.
- Be sure the facility is large enough for the
numbers expected and that there is adequate parking.
- If there are any additional costs such as parking,
inform people when they book their tickets.
- Ask if there are any hidden costs, or if the price
per plate is the total. Does the charge include taxes? The tip?
- Aim for the banquet to be self-supporting and to
- BC Athletics will send a deposit for the dinner and
will pay the final bill.
- All funds collected from ticket sales are turned
over to BC Athletics.
- Set up a table near the door for ticket sales. Have
a cash box and a float.
- Have two people assist with the ticket sales at
- People will start arriving at least one half hour
ahead of time.
- Have the programs distributed here or set them on
SETUP AND CLEANUP
- Arrive early to set up the trophies and awards.
- Display the awards on a large table.
- Organize your group to cover setup and cleanup
- Ask about tablecloths, flowers for the tables, and
- Reserve tables for the guests and speakers at the
front of the room.
- Arrange for a microphone, a good speaker system,
and a podium.
Top of page
[ Back ] [ Up ] [ Next ]