2020 Motions and Actions of the Board of Directors
2020 Annual General Meeting
Motions and Actions of the Board of Directors
November 16, 2019 to August 21, 2020
November 16, 2019:
- Para-Athlete Director – BC Athletics Brd of Directors:
Motion to appoint Nathan Riech to the position of Athlete Director – J. Hinze/J. Myers – Passed
- Establish a sub-committee to review the current Track & Field format for the number of days and number of hours as it relates to: officials, volunteers, athletes (specific to age groups), coaches and parents/spectators. Make recommendations to the Board of Directors on the optimal length of days for Track & Field competitions, the optimal length of days of competition for a Track & Field meet and the optimal length of day and the number of days per competition as it relates to all age groups.
Motion to approve establishing the sub-committee as discussed – J. Hinze/D. Willis – Passed
- Establish a sub-committee to review the Recruitment Policy & Guidelines resolution from the 2019 AGM and to report back to the Board of Directors with recommendations.
Motion to approve establishing the sub-committee as discussed – J. Myers/J. Gill – Passed
- Board Liaison assignments 1. Proposed by the Chair for consideration and approval: a. Track & Field Committee – Tyler Heisterman b. Cross Country Committee – Chair to reach out to Nathan Riech i. Clif noted the next meeting is in January with another to follow in June/July and then a conference call in October). c. Masters Committee – Jim Hinze d. Officials Committee – Jasmine Gill e. Junior Development Committee – Darren Willis f. Road Running Committee – Jordan Myers
Motion to approve the Board Liaison assignments as proposed – C. Johnson/J. Myers – Passed
- Membership Approvals
Motion to approve
- the list of individual memberships received from June 19, 2019 to November 16, 2019 as provided – J. Hinze/J. Gill – Passed
- Approval of School Club Memberships – Circulated 1. Motion to approve the list of School District memberships as provided – J. Hinze/J. Myers – Passed
- iv. Approval of Club Memberships – Circulated 1. A list of club renewals, who are renewing for 2020, was provided and it was noted in the report that they had completed the first step to renewing and the remaining steps will take place in January. It was also noted that no board approval was required, and the list was provided for information only, however Sam advised the Board that they could approve the club renewals pending completion of all requirements. a. Motion to approve the list of Renewing Club memberships, pending completion of fulfilling all requirements – J. Myers/Darren W - B. Drake, J. Hinze and J. Gill abstained – Passed
- Criminal Records Check (CRC) change in process: Timeline to complete the CRC requirement
Motion to approve adding the two-month cap to the membership policy for the Associate, Official and Coach memberships – J. Myers/J. Hinze – Passed
- Membership Eligibility Clarification:
- i. It was noted that this came about because of the confusion about eligibility on the website and how it could be read or interpreted. It also has to do with the Masters eligibility for awards, etc. Brian advised he prepared the new definition of eligibility to clarify the matter and is presenting it for Board review, consideration and support. Brian noted this speaks to refugees, landed immigrants, foreign athletes, etc. This is the eligibility for competing in the Canadian championships, so as a result, they need to be members with a corresponding membership to be able to compete in the championships. This has nothing to do with team selection.
Motion to approve the new definition of BC Athletics Membership Eligibility as presented – J. Myers/J. Gill – Passed
- Track & Field Committee Members:
Motion to approve the list of committee members as presented – J. Myers/J. Hinze – Passed
January 25, 2020
- 2020 AGM Date suggested as Saturday, August 22, 2020 1. Motion to approve – J. Hinze/C. Johnson – Passed
- Motion to approve the Board of Directors be given a complimentary ticket to the BC Athletics Awards Banquet, starting with the 2021 BC Athletics Awards Banquet – J. Hinze/C. Johnson – Passed
- Vice Chair Position re: 2020 Election
Motion to amend the Vice Chair position for election at the 2020 AGM to a one-year term and will revert back to a two year term at the following AGMs – D. Willis/J. Emerson – Passed. G. White and J. Hinze abstained.
- Establish a Nomination Committee
Motion to approve Darren Willis as the Chair of the Nominating Committee for the 2020 AGM. J. Hinze/C. Johnson – Passed.
- Criminal Records Check – Valid Period
Motion to approve that the Criminal Record Check now be required every 5 years – J. Hinze/D. Willis – Passed
- Membership Approvals:
Motion to approve the list of individual memberships received from November 6, 2019 to January 20, 2020 as provided – J. Gill/J. Hinze – Passed
ii. Motion to approve the list of 2019 club membership renewals, including those which are complete (meeting all requirements) and those pending completion of their requirements – J. Emerson/D. Willis – Passed
- BC Athlete Assistance Program Eligibility Criteria: That in order to be eligible for BC Athletic Assistance Program funding an athlete “Must be fully eligible to compete for Canada on all National Teams”.
Motion approve the rule change as presented – J. Hinze/D. Willis. – Passed
- BC Track & Field Championship Hosting Grants: That the age categories be updated to reflect current classifications and that the amount of each hosting grant be updated accordingly.
- Total increase of $370.00. BCA Championship Hosting Grants:
- Seniors T&F $800
- JD Track & Field (Inclusive of 9-13 YO) $800
- U20 $450
- U18 $450
- U16 $450 Masters $300
- JD Combined Events $300 (Inclusive of 9 – 13 YO)
- Combined Events (U16 – Masters) $300
- Total increase of $370.00. BCA Championship Hosting Grants:
Motion to approve the rule change as presented – D. Willis/J. Emerson – Passed
- BC Athletics T&F Championship Jamboree – Entry Fees:
- That entry fees for individual events increase to $20.00; entry fees for Multi Events increase to $30.00; and Late Fee to remain at an additional $10.00for all events.
- That the Registration Deadline to be set at 11:59pm the Sunday before the first day of competition; and the Late Deadline to be set at 11:59pm the Monday night before the first day of competition.
- Motion to approve – J. Emerson/C. Johnson – Passed
- Coaching Education Course Registration Process & Fee Schedule
- Currently course participants require a coach membership to register for an NCCP course.
- Proposal::Course participants no longer require coach memberships but BC Athletics coach members will receive a discounted price of $75 which promotes signing up as a Coach Member. Therefore, coach memberships would not change however the non-coach members cost would increase $75. BC Athletics Coach Members would pay $135 plus GST for the early bird registration, $150 plus GST for the regular and $165 plus GST for the late registration.
- Whereas non-BC Athletics Coach Members would pay $210 plus GST for the early bird registration, $225 plus GST for the regular and $240 plus GST for late registration.
Motion to approve the registration system and fee schedule as proposed – J. Hinze/D. Willis – Passed
March 19, 2020
- Rules (presented to the Board so that they are in place going forward):
- Eligibility for BC Athlete Assistance: Proposed amendment to the rule change passed at the January 25, 2020 Board meeting.
- Eligibility for BC Team Selection and Funding and Support Programs:
- The proposal presented at the January 25, 2020 Board meeting has, because of questions arising at the meeting and recorded vote on the rule change, been reviewed and amended from the previous proposal and is presented for consideration by the Board.
- It was noted that there was no formal vote at the last Board Meeting and so now presenting a revised rule change, which was circulated to the Board. Changes have been made to include they must not be a current/active member of another Athletics Canada Provincial/Territorial Branch or International Athletics Association.
Motion to approve both rule changes as presented – J. Hinze/J. Emerson – PASSED
- Approval of the Club Memberships:
Motion to approve the list of 2020 club membership renewals, including those which are complete (meeting all requirements) and those pending completion of their requirements – J. Emerson/D. Willis – Passed
- Approval of Individual Memberships
Motion to approve the list of individual memberships received from January 20, 2020 to
March 18, 2020 as provided – J. Emerson/J. Hinze – Passed
- Individual memberships refunds and recommendation to take requests into consideration in 60 days – May 30th, 2020
Motion from the Board to Consider the question on refunds by May 30th – J. Emerson/D. Willis – Passed
- Club Operations
Motion from the Board to Support the clubs’ continuing operation, where there is safe protocols in place, as directed by the Provincial Government and that any changes could happen on the direction of the Provincial Government. – G. White/J. Hinze – Passed
- Club Training – groups up to 50 – Social Distancing – Club/coach directed coaching for those training on their own.
- Motion from the Board to Suspend events until May 30th or the date set by the Provincial Government, subject to listing or extending by the Provincial Government – J. Hinze/D. Willis – Passed
- Motion to amend: Suspend all events, courses, competition and workshops until May 30th or the date set by the Provincial Government, subject to listing or extending by the Provincial Government – J. Hinze and D. Willis agreed to the friendly amendment.
- Introductory Programs:
Motion to approve the workshops to be held up to and including May 30th, unless held by virtual means, not be held – J. Hinze/D. Willis – Passed
March 26, 2020
1. Further to the decisions made at the Board of Directors Meeting March 19, 2020, due to the quickly changing situation of COVID-19, Brian asked the Board of Directors for their feedback on two further BC Athletics Updates to the members.
a. BC Athletics Update - Coronavirus (COVID 19) - #5 – March 23, 2020 i. Having received a report of non-social/physical distancing at the Club Track & Field practice and concerns raised by the Provincial Health Officer, BC Health Minister and Mayors of Cities and Districts, the public was not understanding the absolute need for Social/Physical Distancing. Staff wanted to immediately advise all BC Athletics members of the recommended and acceptable training protocols. The Board of Directors was consulted for their feedback on an update to the members and a final version was agreed upon. SPECIAL BC Athletics Update - Coronavirus (COVID 19) - #5 March 23, 2020 PLEASE - Social/Physical Distance – Avoid Contact with Others Based on the continuing escalation of COVID 19 and in discussion today with Greg White. Chair, BC Athletics Brd of Directors together with having received a report of non-social / physical distancing at a Club Track & Field practice and concerns raised by the Provincial Health Officer, BC Health Minister and Mayors of Cities and Districts that the public was not adhering to the absolute need for Social / Physical Distancing, the BC Athletics Board of Directors want to immediately advise all BC Athletics Individual Members, Member Clubs and Club Members of the following change to the Training Guidelines in the BC Athletics Update – Coronavirus (CPVID 19) #4: 2020-03-23 - Until further notice, BC Athletics clubs are to suspend training sessions due to the COVID-19 health crisis. This notice extends to BC Athletics member coaches who are coaching outside of the normal club organized training session and coaches who are not members of a club. Athletes wanting to train through this period can do so on their own, without a coach present. Coaches can offer support digitally but cannot be present when your athletes are training. Athletes continuing to train and Coaches continuing to coach must be 2020 members of BC Athletics. We expect all of our membership to conform with the spirit and letter of Government (Federal, Provincial, Local) mandates to help reduce the risk to our communities during this difficult time. Thank you for your attention and stay safe. Board of Directors and Staff of BC Athletics.
b. BC Athletics Update - Coronavirus (COVID 19) - #6 – March 26, 2020
i. The Board of Directors was consulted for their feedback on information for update #6. was agreed upon. BC Athletics Update - Coronavirus (COVID 19) - #6 March 26, 2020 Physical Distance – Avoid Contact with Others – Stay Home – Train at Home
Training Directive: see BC Athletics Update - Coronavirus (COVID 19)
#5 Membership: • The previous encouragement for clubs to continue to register members was made at a date when it was still possible to gather in groups of 50 or less and to maintain physical distance of at least 2 metres. This was wrong and has proven to be wrong. We apologize for this advice.
• The Board of Directors will, on May 30th, 2020 (as announced previously), consider the questions concerning the BC Athletics Membership. This will allow the Board to consider all factors and determine the best way forward. The Board will respond as soon as possible following their review and consideration. Competitions:
• With the announced event cancellations/postponements/rescheduling – see the BC Athletics Calendar of Events – the following order has been put in place: o All Athletics competitions under the jurisdiction of BC Athletics will be suspended until further notice. This includes: Track & Field, Road Running, Marathons & Ultras, XCountry & Trail Races and Race Walking
June 10, 2020
- Federal Government Small Business Loan Application (CEBA Program
- Motion to approve BC Athletics apply for the small business loan from the CEBA Program – D. Willis/O. Hally – Passed
- Motion to approve the authorized individuals to enter in to the loan on behalf of the association be one of either the current CEO, Chair of the Board or the Director of Finance – J. Hinze/J. Myers. Greg, Ota and Cathy abstained – Passed
- Return to Sport Plan – Athletics Canada Task Force
- Motion to accept and approve the Athletics Canada Back on Track Return to Athletics Plan as presented – J. Emerson/T. Heisterman – Passed
- Motion to approve the BC Athletics’ Return to Training Addendum as presented – J. Emerson/J. Gay – Passed
- BC Athletics Release of Liability Waiver and Indemnity
Motion to approve the BC Athletics Release of Liability, Waiver of Claims and Indemnity Agreement as presented – C. Johnson/D. Willis – Passed
- BC Athletics Informed Consent and Assumption of Risk (for Minors)
Motion to approved the BC Athletics Informed Consent and Assumption of Risk Agreement (for those under the Age of Majority) as presented – J. Hinze/T. Heisterman – Passed
- BC Athletics COVID 19 Questionnaire, Attestation and Participant Agreement
Motion to approve the BC Athletics COVID-19 Questionnaire, Attestation and Participant Agreement as presented – J. Gay/J. Emerson – Passed
- 2020 Membership Fee question
- Recommendation to not provide refunds but to provide a 25% discount for all 2020 BC Athletics Members who renew in 2021.
- Motion to approve proceeding with all 2020 paid and registered BC Athletics members be given or provided with either directly or through their club registrar a discount code valued at 25% of their 2021 Membership Fee.
- Friendly amendment: Motion to approve proceeding with all 2020 paid and registered BC Athletics members be given or provided with either directly or through their club registrar a discount code valued at 25% of their 2021 Membership Fee for use at their discretion – J. Hinze/J. Myers. Darren Opposed – Passed
July 8th, 2020
- Approval of the Audited Financial Statements
Motion to approve the 2019-2020 BC Athletics Audited Financial Statements, as presented – O. Hally /J. Myers – Passed
- b. Approval of Individual Memberships;
- April 27th was the last time report was run. All members since April 27th. ii. Motion to approve the list of individual memberships received from April 27, 2020 to July 3, 2020 as provided – J. Gay/J. Hinze – Passed
- Approval of Club Memberships – Circulated i. Motion to approve the list of renewing Club memberships, pending completion of fulfilling all requirements – J. Emerson/J. Hinze – Passed
July 24-27, 2019
- Return to Competition Guidelines:
- The Athletics Canada Prov/Terr Branches of the Athletics Canada Back on Track – Return to Competition Guidelines
- The BC Athletics Return to Competition Addendum
- The BC Athletics Officials Return to Competition Guidelines
Motion: That the three documents (a, b, c) as presented be
approved: Moved: Jim H / Ota H – Passed
August 5th, 2020
- AGM motions/rule changes to be presented to the membership.
- Be It Resolved: That the entry fees for the BC Athletics Cross Country Championships be: · U16 (ages 9 to 15) $12 / late $20 - Current fees: U16 $9 / late $17 · U18+ (ages 16 & over) $17 / late $25 – Current fees: U18+ $14 / late $22
The BC Athletics Board of Directors recommends support of this motion
- Be It Resolved: That all BC Athletics Annual Coaching Awards recognize both Female and Male Coaches in the following Coaching Award Categories:
- Junior Development Coach of the Year
- I16/U18 Youth Coach of the Year
- U20/Senior Coach of the Year
- High Performance Coach of the Year
The BC Athletics Board of Directors recommends support of this motion
- Be It Resolved: That all BC Athletics Annual Officials Awards recognize both Female and Male Officials in the following Officials Award Categories:
- · The Ian McNeil Award (Official of the Year) – Female and Male
- · The Ralph Coates Award (Longstanding Service) – Male and Female · The Mary Temple Award (Novice Official) – Female and Male
- · The Dave Coupland Award (Most Inspirational) – Male and Female Position of the BC Athletics Board of Directors:
The BC Athletics Board of Directors recommends support of this
- Be It Resolved: That the terms for the following Director positions up for election at the 2020 BC Athletics AGM be:
- Vice Chair – 1 yr term ·
- Director Marketing & Communications – 2 yr term
The BC Athletics Board of Directors recommends support of this motion.
- AGM Voting Verification and Eligibility:
- Motion to support the existing policy requirement for clubs to be in good standing in order to vote at the AGM – O. Hally/J. Hinze – Passed
- The Return to Officials Group Training Guidelines:
- Motion to approve the Return to Officials Group Training Guidelines, as presented – J. Hinze/O. Hally – Passed
- Approval of the COVID-19 BC Athletics Operating budget for 2020-2021
- Motion to approve the Draft 2020 – 2021 BC Athletics Operating Budget, as presented – O. Hally/D. Willis – Passed
- Approval of the DRAFT 2021 – 2022 BC Athletics Budget that is presented as information to the membership at the AGM (August 22, 2020).
- Motion to approve the Draft 2021 – 2022 BC Athletics Budget, as presented
– D. Willis/O. Hally – Passed