Refer to this page for materials and information to help you promote and organize a safe and successful event. BCA and related logos for brochures and websites are available for download at the bottom of the page. If you need other BCA-related logos please email us with your request .
CURRENT BC Athletics Membership Lists
If this page isn't automatically redirect, click here for more information.
Event Sanctioning Information and Forms
As the Provincial Branch of Athletics Canada and World Athletics, BC Athletics and its Divisions have the responsibility for the sanctioning of Athletics (Cross Country Running [including Trail and Mountain], Race Walk, Road Race [including Marathons and Ultras] and Track & Field) events/competitions in British Columbia. The purposes and benefits of sanctioning, as outlined below, are of value to the participant, event organizer, sponsors, facility/venue owners and the viewing public. Sanctioning events supports the goal of staging quality events and helps to support the development of programs and services in Cross Country Running, Race Walking, Road Running and Track & Field throughout British Columbia.
Purpose of sanctioning:
- Insures a commitment by the event organizer that the event will be conducted in accordance with the World Athletics, Athletics Canada and BC Athletics rules.
- Insures that the event will be conducted in a fair and safe manner.
- Insures the recognition of results (provided there is compliance with #1 above).
- Insures that the event meets a standard of quality required for sanctioning by BC Athletics.
Benefits of sanctioning your event:
- Liability Insurance - is required either through the coverage provided by BC Athletics or alternative insurance provided by the event organizer.
- Technical Assistance - Advice and support for the event where needed.
- Officials - Access to Certified Technical Officials (as required) to officiate the event.
- Calendar of Events - Listing and Promotion through both the electronic and print versions at no charge and identifies it as a Sanctioned Event.
- Equipment and Services - Discounts on BC Athletics equipment rental and associate services (as available). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Cross Country Course Inspection and Review - Access to information, process and contacts for the review and inspection of Cross Country, Trail and Mountain Running courses.
- Road Course Measurement and Certification - Access to information, process and contacts for the measurement and certification of Road Running and Race Walking (road) courses.
- Track & Field Facility Review and Inspection - Access to information, process and contacts for the review and inspection of Track & Field facilities.
- Results - Recognition of results for the purpose of: rankings, records; prizing; selection; and funding.
- Event Participation - Increases the base of potential entrants in your event with over 80,000 club and school members throughout British Columbia.
- Increased Prestige - For many events, the BC Athletics sanction improves the event's public perception. A sanction lets the participants know that the event will be run in accordance with the applicable rules.
- Logos and Marks - A sanctioned event has the right to use the BC Athletics and Division logos to promote the fact that the provincial governing body has sanctioned the event. These are available at: www.bcathletics.org/EventDirectors/#logos
- Dispute Resolution - If requested, BC Athletics will assist in the process of resolving issues (outside of the competition) between the event participants and the sanctioned event.
Sanctioning Competitions - Getting Started & Next Steps
To access these services for your sanctioned event, answer any questions you have or access more information please contact the BC Athletics Office at:
- Phone: 604-333-3550
- Email: email@example.com
Event Organizers' Manuals
- Meet Director's Manual updated 2/6/19
- Race director's mini checklist
- Guidelines for inclusion of Para-athletes in Road Races
- Doping Control Guidelines for BC Road Races
- Guidelines for Food and Beverages Available at Sporting Events in BC
- Current BC Athletics Athlete members and School Club Members
- Para-Athletics Event Manual
- Becoming Para Ready
Resources for Sanctioned Events
BCA Membership Database Download Request Form Note: membership lists are updated each Friday.
Post Event Submissions
Required for all BC Athletics sanctioned events. the A Post Event Submission Form and Fees must be submitted to the BC Athletics office no later than 30 days after your events. Enter the information requested and the form will do the calculations for you. Please use on of the forms below depending on the date of your event:
Post Event Submission Form - UPD 8/2/18
Track & Field Meets - Entry/Results set up for inclusion in the Provincial and National Rankings
Hy-Tek users wanting to ensure their results are eligible for inclusion in provincial and national results and rankings must set up their meets in a specific way. Please refer to the 2015 Athletics Canada Rankings and Results Branch Document - Appendix1 - Results Submission Guide. Meets not set up in Hy-Tek must use the Athletics Canada Competition Results File template for their results.
Once the meet is set up a Hy-Tek download file is available from BC Athletics containing the required information for all BC Athletics competitive members. In order to receive the download please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Meets can request download updates at any time leading up to the meet.
BC Athletics competitive members and competitive athletes from other provinces must provide a current AC / BCA membership number when entering meets or their performances will not be included in the national rankings.
Track & Field meets must send the following to email@example.com as soon after the meet as possible:
1. Hy-Tek Meet Backup
2. Athlete Roster List - sorted by gender
3. Athlete Roster List - sorted by club/school affiliation
4. Results.htm file
Once verified the results will be forwarded for inclusion in the B.C. and National rankings.
Event Listing / Championships Bids
- Equipment Rental Request Form - updated March 2018
- Visi-vest rentals and Stop/Slow Paddles for course marshals and officials, from BC Athletics. 200 vests and 60 paddles available. Rental fee $0.60/$0.75 each for BCA member/non-member clubs. $12.00 charge per non-returned vest or paddle. Deposit of $100.00 required, returned when equipment is returned to BCA. Payment by cash, cheque or credit card. Phone 604-333-3553 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Competition Rules / Course Measurement
- Officiating Guidelines for Road and Cross Country/Trail Races
- All Road Race and XC event directors, be sure to read: IAAF Competition Rules for Road Races & IAAF Competition Rules for Cross-Country Races
- Course Certification FAQs
- IAAF Publication "The Measurement of Road Race Courses", Second Edition 2004
- Athletics Canada Road Running Site - Certification & Certified Courses
Events and Technical Specifications
Reviewed / Updated: Sept 24, 2020
Event Medical / First Aid
Sport Injury / Accident Report Form
To be used if one is not already provided by the attending First Aid Company or Medical Team.
Event Directors' Conferences
Excellent opportunities for race directors to network and pick up ideas.
2020 BC Race Directors Summit - will be held the end of February, 2021 at Fortius Sport & Health, Burnaby
2020 BC Race Directors Summit - Saturday, March 7, 2020 - Fortius Sport & Health, Burnaby
Presenter bios and presentations have been posted at - https://www.bcathletics.org/RoadRunningUltras/News/race-directors-summit-2020-post-event/2956/
2019 BC Race Directors Summit - Saturday March 2, 2020 - Fortius Sport & Health, Burnaby
Presenter bios and presentations have been posted at - http://www.bcathletics.org/News/race-directors-summit-march-2nd/2869/
General / Miscellaneous
- Risk Management Guide for Community Sport Organizations
- Human Resource Guide for Community Sport: Managing Employees
- The Social Media Toolkit for Sports Communicators
- Communications Toolkit for Sport
- How to Plan a 5K Guide
- Race Directors Guide to Social Media
- Directory of Running Specialty Stores in BC
- Event Feedback (Online Form)
Logos for Downloading
Right-click (Windows) or Ctrl-click (Mac) and "Save Target As..." or "Save Link As..." or equivalent, or click to view JPEG or GIF then save image from there:
|BC Athletics||Colour JPEG
Black & white JPEG
|BC Track and Field||Colour JPEG
Black & white JPEG
|Racewalk BC||Colour JPEG
Black & white JPEG
|Run BC||Colour JPEG
Black & white JPEG