BC Athletics Summer Job Opportunity
2020 BC Athletics Summer Employment Opportunity
Coaches, Officials & Introductory Programs Assistant
(Supported by: The Canada Summer Jobs Program - Government of Canada and BC Athletics)
Job Position: Coach, Official & Introductory Run Jump Throw Wheel Programs Assistant
Length of Employment: 8 Weeks
Starting Date: July 6th, 2020 Ending Date: Friday, August 28th, 2020
Application Deadline: Monday, June 29th, 2020 - 4:00pm.
Program (Federal Govt) eligibility requirements for all applicants:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the “Immigration and Refugee Protection Act”;
- be legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations; and
- not be a family member or related to members of the BC Athletics Board of Directors or Staff.
- Note: International Students are not eligible to be employed through this program. Recent immigrants are eligible if they are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents.
Working with and under the guidance of BC Athletics Staff (Sabina Nettey, Introductory Programs Coordinator, Jennifer Brown, Coaching Education Coordinator and Brian McCalder, President/CEO), the Summer Student will assist and as appropriate the lead on:
- Assist in the Planning, delivery of the Run Jump Throw Wheel (RJTW) Program to children / youth. Assist in the development, delivery and recruitment for RJTW Instructor Training Courses.
- Tracking participation of RJTW Programs, updating and tracking of Instructor qualifications in the CAC and Coaching databases.
- Review & updating the RJTW materials/AV aids for courses & Prog promotion.
- Planning, coordination and promotion of 2021 Youth Camps. Feedback surveys for camp participants and guardians.
- Work with Primary Schools to schedule and promote RJTW delivery, instructors. Development opportunities for teachers to deliver the RJTW program.
- Work with Secondary Schools to create pathway for identification and development of athletes in the para and able bodied streams to continue in athletics.
- Development and coordination of speaker series to be delivered online / in person of athletes / coaches and officials, to members, schools and general public.
- Development, coordination and promotion of coaching professional development courses and the tracking of delivery. Assist in the development of coach mentorship programs. Manage feedback process of professional development.
- Assist in the recruitment, engagement, online training and development of Officials and the tracking program of qualifications and scheduling.
- Explore opportunities for additional revenue generation through donation campaign, sponsorship and e-commerce strategies.
- Assist in preparations for the delivery of the 2020 online Annual General Meeting.- including the posting of the information and reports for the membership.
- Assist in the updating of the BC Athletics Rules, Policies and Procedures.
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Hours per Day/Week: 7 hrs per day / 35 hrs per week / 10 week duration Salary: $17.00 per hr.
Job Location: BC Athletics Office, Fortius Athlete Development Centre, 3713 Kensington Ave, Ste 2001-B, Burnaby, BC
Requirements and Preferred/Beneficial Skills:
1. Applicants must meet the Federal Government eligibility requirements for employment as set out above.
2. Self-starting/initiating, organized individual with problem solving capabilities
3. Experience in sport as a participant, organizer or event volunteer
4. Event promotion, marketing and sponsorship experience an asset
5. Childhood movement/skill development knowledge, training or experience is an asset
6. Education/Training in Physical Education, Human Kinetics, Long Term Athlete Development and
Sport for Life along with experience/knowledge of the BC Athletics Run Jump Throw Wheel/Track Rascals,
Junior Development, Coaching Education and Officials Programs are definite assets.
7. Knowledge/experience with: Word Processing; Spreadsheets; Web posting; other software
8. Experience in effective use of Social Media.
9. Experience in working with volunteers.
10. Good writing and speaking skills plus a sense of humor.
11. Previous work experience.
This position may involve: a) travel in the Lower Mainland and elsewhere in BC - driver’s license and access to a vehicle may be needed; b) may also require lifting and set up of various materials.
BC Athletics is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
Application Process: Please submit a covering letter of application plus: your resume and 3 references to:
BC Athletics, Attn: Brian McCalder, 3713 Kensington Avenue, Ste 2001-B, Burnaby, BC V5B 0A7
Email: email@example.com Application Deadline: - Monday, June 29, 2020 - 4:00pm.
BC Athletics thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration for the role will be contacted.