2020 BC Athletics Employment Opportunity
2020 BC Athletics Employment Opportunity
Track & Field and Cross Country Programs and Information Assistant
Supported by: The Canada Summer Jobs Program - Govt of Canada & BC Athletics
Job Position: Track & Field and Cross Country Programs and Information Assistant
Length of Employment: 8 Weeks
Starting Date: August 31, 2020 Ending Date: Friday, October 23rd, 2020
Application Deadline: Monday, August 17th, 2020 - 4:00pm.
Program (Federal Govt) eligibility requirements for all applicants:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the “Immigration and Refugee Protection Act”;
- be legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations; and
- not be a family member or related to members of the BC Athletics Board of Directors or Staff.
- Note: International Students are not eligible to be employed through this program. Recent immigrants are eligible if they are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents.
Working with and under the guidance of BC Athletics Staff (Chris Winter, Track & Field Technical Manager, Clif Cunningham, Road/Cross Country Running Technical Manager and Brian McCalder, President/CEO), the Employee will assist and as appropriate take the lead on:
- Marketing & Communications, assisting with program & event promotion, media releases, website updates, sponsor servicing, newsletter, preparation of promotional materials.
- Assisting with the BC Athletics Record Newsletter content preparation.
- BC Athletics Club profiles - interviewing and writing articles for the BC Athletics Record Newsletter.
- Assisting with the event approval process, sanctioning and insurance requirements.
- Work with Disability Sport Organizations for integration of athletes into athletic competitions.
- Results and rankings management of athletes for BC Provincial Team Selection for National Championships and Athlete Assistance Programs.
- Assisting with the organization of travel and accommodation for BC Provincial Teams to National Championships. Including communication with team members, guardians and coaches; uniform organization.
- Development and coordination of a speaker series to be delivered online / in person of athletes / coaches and officials, to members, schools and general public.
- Assist with the scheduling, delivery and promotion of program camps, training programs and seminars for athletes, coaches, officials and event directors.
- Assisting with the delivery, promotion and in person roles for Provincial and National Championships and BC Athletics Events.
- Explore opportunities for additional revenue generation through donation campaign, sponsorship and e-commerce strategies.
- Assist in the recruitment, engagement, training and development of Officials and the tracking program of qualifications and scheduling.
- Assist in the updating of the BC Athletics Rules, Policies and Procedures.
- Assist in the development and updating of Championship Technical Manuals
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Hours per Day/Week: 7 hrs per day / 35 hrs per week / 8 week duration
Salary: $17.00 per hr.
Job Location: BC Athletics Office, Fortius Athlete Development Centre,
3713 Kensington Ave, Ste 2001-B, Burnaby, BC V5B 0A7
Requirements and Preferred/Beneficial Skills:
1. Applicants must meet the Federal Government eligibility requirements for employment as
set out above.
2. Self-starting/initiating, organized individual with problem solving capabilities.
3. Experience in sport as a participant, organizer or event volunteer.
4. Event promotion, marketing, fundraising and sponsorship experience an asset.
5. Education/Training in Physical Education, Human Kinetics or Sport Management.
6. Knowledge of Long Term Athlete Development and Sport for Life.
7. Experience / knowledge of BC Athletics Programs.
8. Knowledge/experience with: Word Processing; Spreadsheets; Web posting; other software
9. Experience in effective use of Social Media.
10. Experience in working with volunteers.
11. Good writing and speaking skills plus a sense of humor.
12. Previous work experience.
This position may involve: a) travel in the Lower Mainland and elsewhere in BC - driver’s license and access to a vehicle may be needed; b) may also require lifting and set up of various materials.
BC Athletics is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
Application Process: Please submit a covering letter of application plus: your resume and 3 references to: BC Athletics, Attn: Brian McCalder, 3713 Kensington Avenue, Ste 2001-B, Burnaby, BC V5B 0A7
Application Deadline: - Monday, August 17th, 2020 - 4:00pm.
BC Athletics thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration for the role will be contacted.