COVID-19 Response: Looking Ahead
In recent days BC Athletics has been working with Athletics Canada and its “Back on Track” Task Force to help guide a safe and healthy return to the sport of athletics in communities across Canada, and at the national team training hubs in Victoria, British Columbia and Toronto, Ontario.
Athletics Canada will provide a national guiding document that BC Athletics will use, together with the viaSport Guidelines, (which as of May 26, 2020 have not yet been provided to BC Athletics) to finalize the BC Athletics Return to Athletics Plan.
As we prepare for a return to Athletics we encourage all member clubs, as well as unattached members, to begin to develop implementation plans that may consider the following:
- Club Registrars must ensure that ALL members have an up-to-date email addresses on file, in Trackie. This is required for membership with BC Athletics and future communication between BC Athletics members. (Any questions can be directed to Sam Collier – Sam.Collier@bcathletics.org)
- Work with your Club’s Board of Directors and coaches on risk mitigation policies and strategies.
- Consult your local health authority on their plans or guidelines for sport.
- Connect with your facility operators and municipalities to understand the protocols they have in place.
- Begin preparing materials that remind your members of public health guidelines, like posters on social distancing and hygiene.
- Stay in touch with your members to keep them updated and engaged.
- Encourage your members to remain active while enjoying the outdoors and facilities that have opened, keeping in mind proper physical distancing and hygiene measures.
As with everything else in this pandemic, we need to remain patient and be aware of the risks of gathering too soon. You are encouraged to maintain the training programs and routines you have established over the past couple of months and to also use this opportunity to work on mental resilience and mental training.
Thank you for your understanding and support in helping to insure the health, safety, and well-being of everyone in British Columbia and Canada.
BC Athletics Board of Directors and Staff