Update to the Provincial Health Orders - September 14, 2021
Provincial Health Order UPDATE - September 14, 2021
BC Provincial Vaccine Mandate – September 13th, 2021
Starting September 13, 2021, the Government of BC has put in place that proof of vaccination will be required to access certain higher-risk social, recreational, and discretionary events and businesses provincewide to help protect people from COVID-19.
At this time, proof of vaccination is NOT required to participate in ANY OUTDOOR SPORT, spectators, and participants.
The restrictions are on INDOOR settings, such as:
- indoor ticketed sporting events
- indoor concerts, theatre, dance and symphony events
- licensed restaurants and cafes, and those that offer table service (indoor and outdoor dining)
- pubs, bars and lounges (indoor and outdoor dining)
- night clubs, casinos, movie theatres
- fitness centres/gyms/adult sports (indoor)
- indoor group exercise activities
- organized indoor events with 50 or more people (e.g., wedding receptions,
- organized parties, conferences, workshops)
- discretionary organized indoor group recreational classes and activities
For INDOOR SPORT Youth (aged 21 and under) are excluded from the Order and are NOT required to show proof of vaccination. Those who are supporting youth programs (ie coaches, volunteers, officials) are NOT required to show proof of vaccination. We are awaiting more guidance on the expectation for MIXED age groups.
Clubs and individual members should consult the venue and/or Municipality on their specific requirements and application of the Order.
For INDOOR workshops / clinics with less than 50 participants, proof of vaccination is NOT required. If there are more than 50 people, proof of vaccination is required. At this time, masks are required in all indoor settings.
Clubs may be responsible for checking adult (22+) members vaccination status participating in INDOOR programs. Clubs must have the permission of the individual to keep a record of their vaccination status on file. Please work with your Municipality/Facility to determine their policy to determine your protocols.
Please note that there is no legal precedence on requiring vaccination to be part of a Club or to participate in an OUTDOOR event, you are best to consult with your legal representation before implementing any measures above and beyond the Provincial Health Order. ViaSport is in the process of gathering more information on this.
Last week, Athletics Canada has announced that proof of vaccination will be required at their in-person events, courses and seminars. Including National Championships. This ONLY applies to the events they own / operate, not to those of BC Athletics or sanctioned by BC Athletics.
Please refer to the provinces – Proof of vaccination and the BC Vaccine Card page for more information. And the BC Vaccine Card – Guide for Businessess.
BC Provincial restrictions are listed here.
Including indoor mask mandates, spectator restrictions, sport & fitness.
Additional restrictions within Northern & Interior Health are listed on the page with regards to Gatherings & Events, Indoors & Outdoors.
For additional information as it pertains to our sport, please visit our COVID-19 Updates Page.
BC Athletics COVID-19 Update - August 30, 2021
To the BC Athletics Membership, Families and Friends,
Over the last week BC Athletics staff have been fielding questions on the recent restrictions on events in the Interior Health Region, the re-imposing of the Mandatory Indoor Mask Order, the planned Proof of Vaccine – Sept 13 and Oct 24 and if BC Athletics is going to mandate vaccines.
At the same time we have been seeking clarification from viaSport on the shifting regulations, their application to sport and if they apply only to Indoor or both Indoor and Outdoor activity. We anticipated that as the Provincial Health Officials determine the need for any further orders, that viaSport in consultation with the Provincial Health Authorities will provide information to the BC Sport Community.
BC Athletics follows the PHO Orders, Health Authority guidelines/restrictions and their application to Sport (through viaSport) and specifically to Athletics. Any updates are provided to the membership and event organizers through the BC Athletics COVID-19 Updates which are posted on the website through the COVID-19 Updates link.
The Athletics Community in BC has, over the last 18 months, collectively worked to ensure the health and safety of our families, friends, club members and all event participants. We have been able to train, host events, compete, coach, officiate and continue club management within the guidelines for Sport and specifically Athletics. However the COVID virus and its variants are still with us - which has resulted in increasing cases, re-imposing provincial mask orders, regional restrictions on Sport and a delay in moving to Step 4 of the BC Return to Sport Restart Plan.
All of us want to get back to “normal Athletics” in all its many disciplines so we need your help by:
- Continuing to run, jump, throw, wheel, coach, officiate, host events and manage clubs within the provincial and regional guidelines; and
- Accessing the preventative means to keep you, your family, friends, club members and event participants safe.
The BC Athletics Board of Directors strongly recommends that, if you are eligible, that you get vaccinated. As a reminder, in BC, vaccines are available to everyone aged 12 and older. You can learn more at https://immunizebc.ca.
Thank you and keep safe.
Greg White, Chair, BC Athletics Board of Directors
Brian McCalder, President/CEO, BC Athletics
BC ATHLETICS COVID-19 UPDATE – UPDATED PROVINCIAL RESTRICTIONS – August 30, 2021
Province Wide - Effective August 25, 2021
- Masks are required in all public indoor settings for all people born 2009 or earlier (12+)
- Specific exemptions listed on the webpage linked above.
Interior Health Region – Effective August 20, 2021
Regional restrictions are currently in place within Interior Health; including mass gathering numbers, physical distancing, capacity of events, runs and team sports; restrictions on low and high intensity exercise; and number of spectators allowed at events.
- Additional restrictions have also now been implemented in Northern Health.
Lower Mainland (Frasher / VCH) and Island Health
- Can continue to follow the guidance as of July 1st.
- BC ATHLETICS UPDATE - UPDATED PROVINCE-WIDE RESTRICTIONS - July 1, 2021
Province Wide Proof of Vaccination Requirement – Effective September 13, 2021
- By order of the Provincial Health Officer (PHO), proof of vaccination will be required to access some events, services and businesses. Getting vaccinated keeps everyone in B.C. safe and stops the spread of COVID-19.